Addictions and Awareness

I recently listened to an interview with the author of Addiction Unplugged, John Flaherty.  It was truly an inspiring interview, because he discussed a new way of approaching addiction, and really of approaching life, and it was all in keeping with my own work in recovering from CFS.

John spoke of life as being meaningless, until we ourselves give it meaning.  Life is just there. It's naturally giving, and naturally creative. And life, naturally, supports us. It just is.  Flaherty stressed that we don't need to make anything happen. In fact, it's all there for us. We only need to allow it to happen. So often we get caught up in the doing, the making things happen, the resistance and pushing against life, when it really is all there, laid out and generously, miraculously, giving us everything we need. As Flaherty points out, we don't even need to breathe. It is done for us.

After listening to the interview this morning.I decided to do an experiment in allowing life to flow. I had several errands to run,  and rather than performing them with my usual laser sharp focus and efficiency ( I usually try to get them done as quickly and easily as possible ), I decided to take some time and be in a state of allowing...of seeing what comes up. I found myself feeling so relaxed...I didn't have to make anything happen...and this is what I noticed. Everything was more..the produce section at the grocery store was more colorful than ever, the pumpkins on display outside the store were more bold and beautiful than ever, people were nicer, the stores were uncrowded, and as I walked up the street to do more shopping I was treated to a pop up symphony playing Beethoven in the neighborhood square. It was a beautiful day, and my awareness of the bounty and generosity of life was heightened ten fold.  All because I came with the attitude of simply being rather than doing.

 I've come to believe that many illnesses are caused by resistance. Of not allowing life to naturally flow, of struggling against the current. When we resist life, we are resisting our selves, and really our true selves. Have you ever heard of autoimmune diseases described as "the body attacking itself"? Oftentimes, we unknowingly attack ourselves, by being in resistance, rather than in flow, with our true nature.

But what I liked most about John Flaherty was his approach to addiction. An addict, and it can be any addiction, big or small, to alcohol, drugs, sex, the internet, is actually a "stuckness". It's being stuck in a compulsion.And when people are treated for addiction, they get "stuck" in recovery, forever. The addictive behavior stops, but the stuck energy behind the addiction often stays, which is why some people in recovery are labeled "dry drunks". According to Flaherty addiction is really a quest for the self. It's a deep desire to be, and have permission to be, your true self, to be the truest expression of yourself, and to leave your own unique footprint on life, which, until you give it meaning, is really just meaningless.  Many very severe addicts have been horribly abused and traumatized as very young children.  My own definition of trauma is something that interferes with you and You. It is anything that takes you away from your core, true self, without your permission. So when this happens at a very young age, one is lost, and out of contact and communication with the true self. The loving core essence of self. Addiction can be thought of as  the quest, really, for the energy, for the true, loving, abundant essence of self.

For my own purposes, I think so many illnesses are due to a loss of self, and can be healed by reuniting with the core, true essence of who we are. And after listening to Flaherty's interview, I have a new perspective on addiction. The addict inherently knows, that there is more, but is stuck. So recovery is to build a bridge, to cross over from the stuckness of addiction to the natural flow, and growth, and infinite abundance that is your own true essence.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts